Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A small bit of silver lining, and more about why I'm done here

Today I discovered why the mail service here sucks so much. Apparently students are to check the mail room at least once a week on their own time; if your mail is left there for two weeks, it gets forwarded to your cubby in your school's office. So I'd just been getting my mail, a month late, from said cubby in the American Studies office. The mail here still sucks, it just doesn't take as long while doing so.

It turns out I not only had a package from my folks (thanks Mom and Dad), but also from beloved friend Alex. He wrote me a poem, a letter, and made several small custom stickers with his own multilingual phrases and funny characters. It all just fuels my drive to be back in the Northwest.

I began work on my sole Film History paper today by looking through several years' worth of Variety magazaine on microfilm for three hours. My paper concerns the marketing for two prominent noir films, 1944's Double Indemnity and 1947's Out of the Past, and save for a short review on each there was nothing else about either. It's the hardest thing to get myself to work. Whereas at Goucher, once I get started in Julia Rogers library, I'm in there for hours at night, biting my nails and wondering about the quality but working hard nonetheless.

Aside from this paper, it's just an editing of my recently-finished second creative writing story and 500 word accompaniment explaining the revisions, then a few more journalism assignments. Then, break (I still don't know where I'm traveling). Then a huge exam for Film History on May 5th. Then, home.


I've been trying to write you a letter
But I just can't help but feel
That the words that are me talking
Don't say anything that's real
I've been going 'round in circles
And it seems it's been a while
Since I've known the real reason
Why I've gone so many miles

I will not begin to tell you
About all the things I've seen
All the people, all the places
All the highways inbetween..
Even these words I'm using
Prove the effort was in vain
All I wanted was to know that
Things would always be the same

Now and then, I might remember
Mostly I try to forget
And right now I'm in the middle
Wondering if it's over yet
And I know it doesn't matter
'Cause the road will never end
So I won't write you a letter
I know I'll be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment