Saturday, March 21, 2009

Jamming, Part II

Just returned from the rehearsal space, and it was a blast! Vicky (singer) couldn't make it this time, so that left Jon (drums), Tony (guitar/vocals), Ben (guitar) and myself (bass). We jammed a bit, and hadn't really had any cover songs prepared so I asked if it was cool if I taught the guys "Fix Me," one of my favorite songs by the Doughboys. We played through it numerous times-- with me on lead vocals as well as the usual bass duties! I felt my confidence steadily rise-- somehow it was easier to sing over a full group than just myself practicing to the original recording.

Then Tony joined in on backing vocals and the harmonies worked out really well! The only thing we really need to tighten up is John's knowledge of the structure (he improvised it just fine) and Ben tightening up his rhythm. Seriously though, SO much fun! On the ride home Tony-- a longtime veteran of singing and playing from years of church music, band practices and big band ensembles-- told me my vocals perfectly suited the song, and that I kept rhythm on the bass just fine while singing!

Here's the music video of the song. We won't ever sound this good, but the point is that it's a killer, catchy tune.


No comments:

Post a Comment