Sunday, February 8, 2009

Another Night in Town

Last night I headed out to Tom's house to hang out with him, his housemate/my other friend Tom (they're of course differentiated by their last name) and a firstyear girl, Alex. We watched Hard Boiled, which was unanimously called badass, and then took a cab to Store's Pub, a tiny lil' establishment with a pool table and a cozy back room.

I'm not amazing at pool, and for my own abilities I did alright. Tom N (Autopsy sweatshirt one) completely slays, as does our friend Jon who met up with us there. Later, Jon's friend Ben came and of course music came up in convsation; turns out Jon drums, Ben has played guitar for eight years, and they're looking for a bass player to jam with. They've invited me to join them Thursday at their practice space in town, which is apparently fully equipped with rental gear and a "loud as fuck" PA system. I'm substantially excited-- I couldn't bring a bass out here, only a Mexican-made Fender guitar, and I've never really had the opportunity to consistently jam with folks in the past few years.

Both Toms also said that yeah, they'd be down to travel some over the month-long spring break we have. The prices out here, so long as you book early, are jawdropping-- most of RyanAir's flight's cost 10 pounds!

Finally, a bit of good stateside news: someone wants to buy my old Hamer Import Standard bass. It served me well as my first practical bass guitar, and I think the shape is quite awesome, but the neck weight and width was just not working out for me. Some dude on Talkbass mentioned in a thread discussing similarly-shaped bass that he missed his old Hamer Import Standard and wished he hadn't sold it, so I got in touch and it turns out he's interested. The only tough part now is that he'll have to wait sevenish months till I get out east for my final year at Goucher, as it currently resides with a friend. Hey Chris, if you're reading this, it means a lot of freed up space under your bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment