Thursday, January 15, 2009

My possible return to the martial arts, and an early English success

Yesterday was the SocMart-- basically a club rush, but here clubs are called societies. I signed up for the mailing list for two societies.

The Wing Chun society holds a once-a-week martial arts class. The Wing Chun form is the same sort of self-defense techniques I initally learned when I was very young and studying under Sifu Rick DeMile before his curriculum focused more on combined elements. The classes are a pound each session, with a two-pound starting fee. The only catch is that I already have two classes that day, and the martial arts class is another two hours, so...we'll see. Obviously it also involves a lot of independent practice that I'll have to make time for along with the independent research for classes that British teachers are so hep on emphasizing.

The unfortunately-named Deviant Society is an alternative music collective. This seems somewhat hit-or-miss in regards to specific music I like, but they have socials at the on-campus Red Pub every Thursday night at 8-- so I'm headed there in a bit to see what's up. They also book and host gigs in town.

Today my sole class was a 4-6 Creative Writing: Prose Fiction seminar. It went quite well; a fellow Goucher English major, Mike, was in my class. At one point we all had to write for 15 minutes on our first day of school. I immediately wrote about my arrival to UEA rather than the subject instructed, realized it, and furrowed my brow a bit but kept going. After we all finished writing, we read the pieces aloud and recieved brief but straightforward verbal feedback from the the teacher. When it came time for mine, he commented that the ending was a case of telling more than showing, but otherwise the rest was "very concrete writing." Good to hear-- sometime my verbosity gets the best of me.

On an unrelated note, I watched this last night.


If you're one for samurai/kung-fu cinema, gore, or basically wonder what Road to Perdition (based on this film/comic series) would be like if it took place in feudal Japan, this one is for you. It also has four or five sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment