Friday, January 16, 2009

Books on the Reading Docket

Currently reading: Michael Moorcock's The Chronicles of Corum, a compilation of the second Prince Corum trilogy-- The Bull and the Spear, The Oak and the Ram, and The Sword and the Stallion. On the third book already and loving it. A lot of Celtic/Cornish folkore in the influence, evidently.

In the queue:
Michael Moorcock, The History of the Runestaff. A British compilation of another series of one of Moorcock's characters, Dorian Hawkmoon. Star Wars meets King Arthur. Badass.

Michael Moorcock, The Cornelius Chronicles. Moorcock's cyberpunk, androgenous secret agent/master-of-all-trades Jerry Cornelius.

Robert L. Howard, The Conquering Sword of Conan. The final compilation of all of Howard's work before he committed suicide at a young age. I'm a big fan of his stuff and it's quite interesting to read pre-Tolkien fantasy.

Raymond Carver, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. The title short story is one of the most amazing, heartbreaking things I've ever read. Can't wait to read more of him.

Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning. This one sounds fantastic and profound, to say the least.

Mickey Spillane, One Lonely Night. "Sure I write garbage," Spillane once said, "but it's good garbage." Tough-guy detective fiction. I'd say it's a guilty pleasure, but I don't feel too guilty reading Mike Hammer novels.

Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing. Perhaps my favorite author, giving guidance on the craft. Can't wait.

EDIT: Forgot to mention John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Knights. One of the most popular modern translations of Malory's work. Years ago my Dad tried to get me to read this and brushed him off and now I truly regret it. First, because I loved reading Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath in high school; second, because I loved Arthurian tales as a kid and recently rekindled my this love when I read Morte Darthur for a lit class this fall. Also quite excited for this one.

4 comments:

  1. A few additional suggestions if you get the time:
    - The Bell Jar by Plath. An autobiographical chronicle of a young girl's descent into madness.
    - Orwell, Vonnegut, and Dick as far as sci.fi./fantasy goes.
    - Anton Chekhov (apparently he greatly influenced Carver)
    - Any Raymond Chandler for a good pulp noir (if you haven't already)

    Sorry if this overwhelms you, but I just can't resist recommending good literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge fan of Chandler, natch!

    I'm about to read some Chekov this weekend for class.

    Need to get some Dick (ahah!)...big fan of Blade Runner and Minority Report, sooo...yeah. As for Vonnegut I enjoy him, but even his sci-fi I wouldn't call sci-fi so much as political allegory. Orwell's alright; one day I'll read War of the Worlds cover-to-cover.

    I hear great things about the Bell Jar.

    Thanks for your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woh, Dude!!!! Are you literate, or what?
    My suggestion is:
    "How to read a Book" by Mortimer Adler.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book
    I couldn't use it at WSA because I didn't think the students would get into it. But, I think you will appreciate it.

    Sort of.... two steps back, ten steps forward.
    -Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenny, I am so pleased and honored you read my ramblings. I will for sure scope that out.

    ReplyDelete