Monday, January 26, 2009

An Exercise in Randomness- iTunes Shuffle Free-Throught Association

The Descendents- I'm the One. This song had pretty incredible relevance to a certain situation this fall. It's pretty obvious.

Smashing Pumpkins- Take Me Down. Man. Always kinda dug this one. James Iha is underrated. Dreamy song.

People Under the Stairs- The Breakdown. Reminds me of a certain someone. Need to listen to this compilation more.

Metallica- Whiplash. Me and Dan Robinson. High school. Pretending were cooler and more snide than everyone else at Hebrew High, in our own little world. I wore out the first three Metallica albums freshman and sophomore year, and I hate thinking about those wasted, oft-nihilistic times. So...next song.

Autopsy- Stillborn. This band is everything I love about simple, raw, oldschool death metal and holds the same appeal to me as a fantastic zombie flick.

Camel- The Great Marsh. Rural-sounding. Perfectly narrates the foggy days here in Norwich.

Voivod- Tribal Convictions. A galactic, progressive headrush. I bought this record on a whim one of many times we met up with Aunt Joanie in Tacoma. To this day, I've never heard anything else like it. RIP Piggy.

Iron Maiden- Flight of Icarus (Live). Not my favorite song, but my favorite band of all time. Seventh grade-- Ben McCarty gave me a tape with two of their songs. My hair didn't magically drop to shoulder-length, nor did I immediately get past the unsavory Limp Bizkit shit I was into at the time, but it was a golden moment that indicated a future direction for my musical taste.

Agalloch- A Celebration for the Death of Man. I could listen to Agalloch on Mars and it would still teleport my mind back to the beautiful grays of the Northwest.

Ol' Dirty Bastard- Hippa To Da Hoppa. Chris Weed. I miss you, duder.

Mussorgsky- The Polish Ox-Cart. I'm no classical buff, but this and Holst's Planets are my two favorite classical works.

Cream- Swablr. Mmmm...Clapton's fuzz tone on this, so damned good. Dad saw them for something like three dollars once.

Celtic Frost- Into the Crypts of Rays. Tom, why did you spit on me when I was worshipping the ground you walked on? :(

Catherine Wheel- Show Me Mary. Catherine Wheel? This sounds like Noel Gallagher fronting Husker Du.

Void- Who Are You? It's tied between this and Black Flag's "My War," for which chorus I often want to yell at people.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer- The Barbarian. Bass distortion die for. Most ominous organ sounds ever. Heavy metal, right here.

1 comment:

  1. lol @ I'm The One. I remember you singing this emphatically one night after Sociology.

    miss u
    :(

    ReplyDelete